Another crop grown primarily for the enjoyment of our CSA customers due to its short shelf life, our lettuces are seeded and planted early in our high tunnels. Here they are protected from early spring frosts, high wind, or hail, and allowed to develop the wonderful flavors not enjoyed in many store bought lettuces. This is a cool weather crop, as heat can turn lettuce bitter, and is usually available in late May and early June.
Prep and Storage
- Greens should always be rinsed well prior to use.
- While lettuce should be used quickly, you can store greens in the refrigerator wrapped in a damp towel or store in a plastic bag with a paper towel to absorb moisture.
How to Use
- Most commonly used as salads, lettuce is also a healthy substitution for wraps.
- Serve a cool chicken salad on a bed of lettuce leaves.
- Toss salad with dressing at the last minute to avoid sogginess.
- Add herbs such as mint or basil to your salad to give it a fresh summer flavor.